Saturday, October 20, 2007

Measure 50

Since I posted on M49, I might as well post on this one, right?

While I don't like the fact that M50 will be written into the Constitution, I am still voting for it.

Why?

Because a social policy that taxes cigarettes and uses the money for health care - even if only part of it is for kids - is a good policy. Cigarettes need to go away, and while I think outlawing them is a bad first step (but not off the table, sadly), creating barriers to smoking is a good thing.

That and the fact that opposition parties - usually tobacco companies - have spent over $10 million to defeat this is a giant sign that it's a good idea. And it makes me happy to hope that said companies will have wasted $10 million.

So yeah: For once, I am a yes-happy ballot measure voter. Doesn't happen often.

0 comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.