Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Good Ship Journalism

I'm finding myself really, really interested in this blog Newspaper Death Watch. I've never really had the opportunity to actually listen to someone who is way ahead of the curve, as I think this blog is, when it comes to upcoming structural changes in something as important as the newspaper. And the blog's fierce focus and insistence on beating the drum over and over and over is a big bonus.

One thing of interest: All the media blogs I read suggest that the education of future journalists is actually ahead of, or at least abreast of, the curve - schools are really turning to Internet and multimedia journalism (as opposed to print), but it's the newspapers themselves, the businesses, that are going to be caught out in the cold.

I don't think that bit about education holds true for my college's newspaper (the school doesn't have a proper Journalism program); the local college daily's advisor thinks we should go back to the 1950s.

A few other media blogs I read:

Mark on Media

Romenesko

Bonus Link: Some tips for newspapers on how to survive in the future

Finally, I should add that I know nothing about photography, or photojournalism, or how they play into this. It's not something I've ever really paid attention to, honestly. Off the top of my head, I would expect that the advent of digital would be far kinder to photography than print...but what do I know?

0 comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.