Sunday, October 28, 2007

Another Inconvenient Truth?

Loathe as I am to say it, I think that last comment on this post over at LT's place has just enough truth to it to make it worth noting:

It is interesting to me that this blog is titled Lebanon for Truth and Reconciliation... and yet no part of this bitter, back bitting, "truthful" blog (and it's comments) are doing anything to bring reconciliation. I both agree and disagree with many of the comments posted for various reasons but as anyone I have discussed this blog with points out, regardless if the points are valid THIS blog has stirred up MORE controversy and anger than was already there (which was NOT what we needed) so LT I suggest if you want to continue on your crusade for Truth... leave out the reconciliation title because you are far from bringing that about.


While I don't think LT's blog is "backbiting" or bitter", I do think that at times, the content of the blog runs at odds with the blog's title (whereas, obviously, this blog's title of Rhetorical Wasteland is a good indicator that I babble on and on without saying anything interesting; take note). Even given the obvious historical reference - South African Truth and Reconciliation Commissions, in which people were given amnesty for admitting to crimes committed while SA was under apartheid - I definitely expected LT's blog to be more.... positive? Is that the word?

On the other hand, I appreciate that LT is a critical thinker, and I appreciate the urge to get rumors out into the open. But ultimately, I think that the tone present in LT's writing is often more abrasive than the content, which I think leads to people overlooking said content and being dismissive based on tone.

Or something.

This has been your incoherent post of the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too appreciate the critical thinking but I am glad someone could recongize the irony in title and abrasiveness of the content on LT's blog... good to know I'm not the only one who finds that maybe LT's quest for the truth could be done a bit more above board, and in a slightly more positive way. If LT truly is a teacher than I would hope they would seek true change, not just add to the already overflowing gossip pool. Mostly, thanks for being able to stand back a bit and see the blog the same as I did (even if you hated to agree! :) )

Anonymous said...

Just another tactic to---
hush LT up
---and you bought into it.

With your appreciation of rhetoric, you should still rush to defend the free speech on LT even if it is more hard-edged than stylistic.
Truth is often not "positive".
You must be thinking of politics instead--just say what people want to hear and everything will turn out fine in the end.
Right.
If "rumors" are exposed they will either be confirmed or die.
Less of them will be started when it is known they will be subjected to the light of day.
Left in the dark they thrive.
LT laying open what is going on, or being said, may not be "positive" but it is the truth.
When changes occur the truth itself will be more positive.
Until then....

Anonymous said...

Not saying it isnt truth, title the blog Lebanon for truth... just saying it isnt leading to reconciliation so maybe cut that claim.

Anonymous said...

Just because it hasn't happened, yet, doesn't mean it won't.

It's an on-going action (truth-telling) and a desired goal (reconciliation).
Why do you think they are incompatible?

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.