Friday, November 9, 2007

Another Thought on Lebanon in Response to Comments

I think we've just about revealed the conundrum here in the comment thread to this post...

Assumption #1: No one on the pro-Robinson/pro-law side can tell Rick, Josh, Kim, or perhaps Debi what to do. Given this, it is incumbent on the former group and public citizens to work towards resolution and reconciliation. This is not fair, but I believe it's realistic.

Assumption #2: Robinson and Sprenger are on the side of the law. This is pretty clear.

Assumption #3: Kim, Rick, Josh, and Debi will not go away as long as (a) they feel there is injustice being done, or (b) until Robinson leaves. I am afraid that the correct answer is either (b) or (c) both, in which case the district is in for one helluva ride.

Given those three assumptions, I think this is one way to express the problem faced by the folks in the district:

If RJKD feel slighted when Sprenger, legal counsel and Robinson hew to a strict understanding of board policy and law, and if no one can really change the behavior of RJKD, and having RS give some ground will not result in behavioral improvements, then what should happen? I see no resolution here that ends with everyone happy and no law-breaking.

Instead, I think I have been making another assumption: That while Rick and possibly Josh are power hungry enough to blatantly ignore the law again and again (as opposed to having learned from their first little adventure), Kim and Debi are not. I'm beginning to think that may have been a bad assumption and that Debi will go along with another stupid enterprise - and that Kim will not stand in their way.

So? I am taking as a given that going after Rick and Josh is not an option, as I've not seen any evidence of that so far, but what if that course of action turns out to offer the best chance at a resolution? Why not start a recall campaign against them?

To put it another way: I am a supporter of the idea of restorative justice; most folks in Lebanon, especially RJKD seem interested in punitive justice. I've been pushing for the former and the commenters here have obviously been of the latter variety. I'm beginning to think that a third way - exclusion of the RJKD block from power into equilibrium can be restored and/or they learn to play nice - is maybe viable.

Just following a train of thought wherever it goes...not really sure about this one.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a recall might be a good idea. Those who live in glass house's should not throw stones!!!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.