Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Blogging Hierarchy

From Matt Yglesias, something I've also noticed about the liberal blogosphere:

A [blog]caste system is solidifying and a new establishment is crystallizing.


I suspect lots of folks are going to pin this one on human nature. I think that's both wrong and dangerous. Instead, I think this reflects existing socialization and the existing nature of (mostly American) society: hierarchy is promoted all over the place, and it stands to reason a whole bunch of more-or-less (mostly white) liberal folks are just going to replicate what they know. Just because the potential for more democracy exists with the physical infrastructure of the Internet doesn't mean the social development is going to be hierarchy-free. In fact, if that were the case I'd be floored.

That said, I'm reminded of Michael Albert's point that not taking advantage of talent is just stupid - but I think the consequence of a blog caste system or hierarchy is that new talent or developed talent now has some pretty serious barriers to entry, and that's not very democratic, now is it? Especially of the liberal blogosphere is tilted toward highly educated white men, as seems to be the case.

Look at me - it's almost cute, how much I rely on the assumption that people are rational animals (even if it's learned rationality). Sigh.

0 comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.