Sunday, July 8, 2007

Corvallis is Changing

Inspired by this post at Blue Oregon (even though the post in question doesn't really touch on what I want to talk about all that much), I think Corvallis is in the midst of shooting itself in the foot, the leg, the thigh and possibly the femoral artery.

What? My lousy metaphors don't make sense? Deal with it.

Anyway, this is something that has been percolating for quite a while in my brain, and now that the heat of the day has passed, I'm going to try and explain a bit.

I started going to college in the fall of 2001, so I was in town pretty much every day. I moved to Corvallis in the spring of 2002 and have lived here ever since. Also, I like to eat out often, as does my partner. As a result, we have a decent sense of the ebb and flow of restaurants and other businesses in town since we end up all over the place in search of food.

In the last 5 years, I've noticed that there's been a lot of change in town - new buildings, renovation of old buildings, the closing down of old shops, etc. Among the more notable are the closing of Albright and Raw, the Avalon, Lyons Restaurant and several large businesses on 9th St.

Most of these things have either been replaced, razed, or stand as empty buildings. They've been replaced with - you guessed it - chain stores.

Paul Turner of the Darkside (and formerly of the Avalon) has something to say about chain stores that pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter:

I’ve done my part to bring this type of cinema to town. Now it’s your turn. Do you want the Darkside, the Majestic, Robnett’s, Red Horse, and Sunny Side Up in your future? Make no mistake: every dollar you spend at Carmike, Home Depot, and Starbucks is another nail in the coffin for these local establishments.


I think he's spot-on, and that's why I think Corvallis is in the midst of some fundamental long-term change: In the last 5 years, I've seen at least a dozen chains enter town, including Borders, Carmike Cinemas, Home Depot, Ruby Tuesday's, the forthcoming Applebees, an Elmers Restaurant, multiple Dutch Bros., Bed Bath & Beyond, and more. All of these have put pressure on local businesses, even forcing some of them to go under. Hell, even the local Goodwill built a new store that looks just like a low-budget Walmart (scary, I know).

My point is that Corvallis has a reputation - which the Blue Oregon post alludes to - as a great place to live. Part of that reputation is due to some very specific land-use planning: Lots of parks and green space, but more importantly, a limit on the size of stores to limit big-box stores and a genuine effort to keep downtown vibrant by promoting and support local business.

I think the reputation has lived on well after the fact.

Don't get me wrong; my understanding is that the downtown businesses wield some clout, and they are judicious in defending their turf. I'm referring more to the set of decisions (probably made the city government and City Council, though I have admittedly not followed closely enough to be sure) that have allowed the new development.

In other words, I think the mentality of many Corvallis residents has changed and they don't remember why their town is so awesome in the first place, and the consequences of that forgetfulness are going to be, in the long run, a shift from local and independent businesses to mega-corporate chain stores. Corvallis, I predict, is going to lose a lot of what makes it unique and loved by everyone, and lots of people aren't going to be any the wiser, especially since I'd bet new arrivals don't have any idea of the history of the town.

And don't even get me started on the class aspect of all this; I'll save that for another post. Suffice to say, this G-T article has some useful information.

1 comments:

B. Zedan said...

Ugh. It makes me think of Lebanon, and what it was when I was growing up there, compared to the descriptions of it now. Of course, the situation is different, it went from mill-town to bedroom community, and folks like their shopping options.

Do you think there was a specific change or catalyst to this movement in Corvallis, to the town or kind of people who live there?

I don't know if you know what Orenco is like. It's the example we use out here for good idea regarding shopping options gone bad.

Yuppies and that horrible yuppie-hippie crossbreed love it.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.