Friday, November 23, 2007

Get Off My Lawn Or I'll Shoot Edition

Of course it's Hering. Who else would it be?

I'll keep this short - I have better things to do:

The same issue has come up in Oregon in connection with public schools. A Medford teacher challenged her school district’s policy that barred her from being armed on school grounds. She went to court and lost, but she’s appealing. Now the school district plans to ask the Oregon Legislature to amend the law in order to give school districts explicit authority to enforce such policies. The question would be how. Metal detectors? Regular pat-downs?


Yes, actually. Apparently Hering is unaware that some schools actually have metal detectors and bag searches.

I always thought that being an editor meant that one actually researched the editorials they wrote.

There's also this:

Another is that people who have met the requirements for a permit to carry a concealed weapon are, as a general rule, more law-abiding and responsible than your average individual in the population at large — and certainly more so than the criminal who just ignores the law.


Really? Evidence, please. I hear this all the time from gun advocates, but I have never seen a single scrap of evidence for the claim that people with concealed weapons permits are safer than those without. My experience is completely contradictory to that - the craziest people I know are also the ones who carry concealed.

Hering really shouldn't be in the business of printing - or writing - evidence-free assertions based on unsupported (and frankly ridiculous) beliefs. It's not becoming of a newspaper editor.

0 comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.