Monday, May 26, 2008

To be filed under 'reasons I'm not asleep'

I've found that as I get older, it's much harder to simply sit in awe and wonder at the world, to just be and experience the world as fully as possible without trying to interpret or change it.

Sometimes - like now - I connect that difficulty to all that I learned in college (and all the supposed explanatory power that came with it), and I miss feeling like the world is a magical place. I've been feeling that absence a lot lately, it seems.

Of course, this could also be related to a severe lack of time to reflect. I tend to need a lot of that.

Addendum: I've never met anyone who I can identify as sharing quite the sense of hope/wonder/absurdity/cynicism, paired with an overriding sense of the need for justice, towards the world that I do. I'd like to meet that person.

Currently listening to: Lucero, The National, Murder by Death, Tina Dico.

1 comments:

Joseph Orosco said...

You should read some Richard Rorty. "Philosophy and Social Hope" might be right up your alley.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.